About the Matrix Program®
What are the Primary Goals of the Matrix Program®?
The Matrix Model Revolves around 8 guiding Principles
- Establishing positive and respectful relationships
- Creating a client-centred therapeutic environment
- Providing clinically relevant and evidence-based information and education
- Incorporating a variety of evidence-based treatment approaches to meet each client’s individual needs
- Ensuring positive reinforcement and encouragement
- Supporting engagement and education for families and friends
- Encouraging participants to engage in self-help and community-based programs for a more fulfilling life
- Random and periodic substance testing
In this phase the focus is on learning those important skills which support you to make good decisions in how you live day by day to minimise the potential for relapse. Early recovery skills includes tasks such as understanding what your triggers are and how to manage these and your cravings. This phase also includes learning about the brain and how addiction can hijack our good intentions. When we understand the way our brain works in these situations we can apply the strategies and skills learnt in the program to reduce the likelihood of relapse.
During this phase the requirement to attend group reduces to a minimum of 2 group sessions a week for 14 weeks. Focus is now on developing better structures in your life to support you more in to moving away from the addicted thinking. The sessions include further education building on your knowledge of addiction and the brain, as well as becoming more challenging with unhelpful thinking. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Schema Therapy are included to support you with the thoughts, behaviours and actions which are necessary for your life without the addictive patterns.
By now participants have a good understanding of thought patterns which indicate they are on a path to relapse. Once this is identified participants also have a tool kit of skills and resources to utilise to keep them on the path of recovery. The final development of your new life begins when we can recognise early the signs of old patterns emerging and quickly interrupt these with a conscious choice we want a different life.